Windows shedding light
In 1873 the sons of Bentham and Eleanor Hall restored stained glass to these lancets as a memorial to their parents. Most of the Abbey windows similarly recovered their beauty over the following decades, as the movement to bring back colour and imagery to English churches reached its peak. It was fuelled by romantic enthusiasm for the Gothic past, and by high church revival of Catholic practices and belief in the beauty of holiness. It was made possible by rediscovery of medieval glass-making techniques, and the emergence of glass-makers like C E Kempe, Henry Holiday and the former Newcastle grocer, William Wailes.
Later, the great east and west windows were also given new glass, and the lesser windows between them. Gradually the Abbey filled again with some of the translucent colour that must once have enriched it.
Text: Colin Dallison
Four of the windows are by Henry Thomas Bosdet. Follow this link for more about him.